2012-05-15

Conveying Ideas

There is an idea bubbling inside me and I have no idea how to get it out. It's caught somewhere between my mind and my throat. The language in my head has nothing to do with the language that I speak. Any sort of thing I say is a horrible mockery of trying to translate between the two. An actual Chinese box would not be able to communicate very well in Chinese, each sentence stilted and broken andonly understandable in "this was once an English phrase."

My only way of getting raw idea into physical form is with words. My creativity is all bundled up in prose. Yet so many of the ideas would be better expressed with art, or poetry, or music, or anything that breaks the limitations of subject-predicate. I really need to learn a new creative skill.

Or maybe the solution is to make prose capable of matching the mind?

1 comment:

  1. I like this a lot, and often run across the same problem. Then I watch something written by Aaron Sorkin and self worth plummets even further. But my faith in the human ability to convey thoughts accurately is restored? :(

    ReplyDelete